I am contributing this entire blog towards the creation of the 3D interactive menu for my imagine worlds project.
And the reason for this is because of what I figured out throughout the development stage of the buttons. I couldn’t understand that my imported graphics would not show at a full resolution. Instead was pixlated and fuzzy, therefore I had to seek out an alternate solution to make this menu.
‘What about 3D?’
So I looked into making 3D buttons where the materials will not bring down the resolution of the button graphics. Coming across a video that explained clearly how to achieve this but there was a brick wall ahead…
Although I though…
car QuitButton : boolean = false;
function OnMouseUp ()
So after writing this script, it was applied to the 3D planes mimicking the buttons, and classified them as play, credits & quit buttons. To make them therefore work in connection with the Button script.
The image below gives a visual representation of what I’m trying to achieve by doing this…
Next was the animation, and this was quite familiar as the timeline keying features were like them of Maya. It was just a method of selecting the object you intend on animating, then to the animation box and moving the object into place to therefore build the animation. This is how I completed the animation for the menu transitions.
This is an overall summary of the past 8 weeks, versions have been made with improvement to; character interaction, Sound and obviously graphics.
My biggest struggles throughout the project has been the programming; on the bright side, I have been trying to grasp the more common features of programming by looking through YouTube videos, Unity script references and even my own written code and seeing if there is any similarity between what I have done and trying to do.
Going further into substance painter, I have suddenly come to the thought of actually adding detail to my models to give them that more realistic outlook to who ever is viewing it.
Let me start with a dustbin…
Now to the untrained and simplistic eyes to an everyday consumer, this is a household Dustbin. But to the more detailed eye of someone like an artist or modeller alike, you may see the details which are peppered on the surface such as how the metallic lid stands out from the top but also curves into the shape of the upper bin lid. Followed by the slight indent of the word ‘PUSH’ placed on the board. Finally the Scarlett red logo standing out from blue coating the bin shows the make of the bin and what kind of style it may be trying to imply.
How is this done?
Let me show you via substance painter and Photoshop in synergy with each other to create something which looks quite bleak and then add the realism to further give even a bin a slight hint of coolness.
These alpha maps which were created in either Photoshop & Illustrator combined to create the crisp decals which were applied to the models later on as normal, height maps, or simple color maps.
This Bin which was followed from the concept that I have placed above has already been given the TLC it needs in a completely different way. Apart from giving this assets beautiful glistening metals, instead I have added some rust, dirt and more importantly … DECALS!
Like I mentioned before, like the reference above I have used the ‘PUSH’ decal created in Photoshop, and applied it onto the lid of the bin as a height map and changing the parameters inside to convert it from on outer dent into an inner dent.
The first week is coming to an end and we are being told about the entirety of the course and that includes the practice and real synoptic projects where we are all in groups to develop either a game, VFX piece or an interactive environment.
We have chosen the ‘world of Vert’s’ challenge where we make an entire environment alongside a playable character, we now have a solid Idea alongside a 5-team and boy its turning out to be better than expected.
This basically shows different ways to layout the code so programmers can read it easily and make sense out of it. 1TBS shows the opening brackets connecting to the end of the first line of code which could represent the literal connection whereas Allman separates creates a new line for a new bracketing section… like a quarantine in a way. Keeps everything away.
Doing either bracketing will not affect the workings of the code of what target you apply it to. Ultimately this should show what code is supposed to look like and also show an easier way of bracketing the code. Below is an example of 1TBS bracketing, I wouldn’t expect you to read it all but if you want to, I highly recommend looking at the way the brackets are set in comparison to Allman.
Back to the game in hand, there have been major improvements such as including collectable objects in my game to finally trigger the door, the idea.
Get the Collectables.
Avoid the Enemy.
Get to the goal.
Simple, it’s just… making more levels & having the gameplay flow at an equilibrium alongside an increasing difficulty. Throughout the duration of the game…