What if you could do something, say something count back the hours, days even years to change something or do something… you wonder how it would have changed your life for the better or worse, we’re humans it’s in our nature to think ‘what if?’.
That’s the idea if my project and how to present it … well take Pixar’s Paperman for example. A perfect mix of both 3D and classic 2D we all know and love.
It tell a story of a man and a woman, two completely random strangers who have met each other through a mere accident… and because of that they seemed to have emotionally bonded to each other simply through a piece of paper. Here is the short film below if you haven’t already seen it yet…
Continue reading “My idea for my synoptic project ‘What if?’”
Coming to the last year of college I have come to think about how far ive came in terms of 3D modeling, from my first ever 3D barrel to an entire game filled with clusters of assets and they all in themselves help me progress further in my specialisation.
Over the past two months of making assets, my modeling development pipeline has become ever more structed in what application I carry my asset over to for further texture or modeling altercations.
Continue reading “My pipeline of working on 3D models…”
I am contributing this entire blog towards the creation of the 3D interactive menu for my imagine worlds project.
And the reason for this is because of what I figured out throughout the development stage of the buttons. I couldn’t understand that my imported graphics would not show at a full resolution. Instead was pixlated and fuzzy, therefore I had to seek out an alternate solution to make this menu.
‘What about 3D?’
So I looked into making 3D buttons where the materials will not bring down the resolution of the button graphics. Coming across a video that explained clearly how to achieve this but there was a brick wall ahead…
Although I though…
car QuitButton : boolean = false;
function OnMouseUp ()
So after writing this script, it was applied to the 3D planes mimicking the buttons, and classified them as play, credits & quit buttons. To make them therefore work in connection with the Button script.
The image below gives a visual representation of what I’m trying to achieve by doing this…
Next was the animation, and this was quite familiar as the timeline keying features were like them of Maya. It was just a method of selecting the object you intend on animating, then to the animation box and moving the object into place to therefore build the animation. This is how I completed the animation for the menu transitions.
This is an overall summary of the past 8 weeks, versions have been made with improvement to; character interaction, Sound and obviously graphics.
My biggest struggles throughout the project has been the programming; on the bright side, I have been trying to grasp the more common features of programming by looking through YouTube videos, Unity script references and even my own written code and seeing if there is any similarity between what I have done and trying to do.
Continue reading “Imagine Worlds project Update”
Going further into substance painter, I have suddenly come to the thought of actually adding detail to my models to give them that more realistic outlook to who ever is viewing it.
Let me start with a dustbin…
Now to the untrained and simplistic eyes to an everyday consumer, this is a household Dustbin. But to the more detailed eye of someone like an artist or modeller alike, you may see the details which are peppered on the surface such as how the metallic lid stands out from the top but also curves into the shape of the upper bin lid. Followed by the slight indent of the word ‘PUSH’ placed on the board. Finally the Scarlett red logo standing out from blue coating the bin shows the make of the bin and what kind of style it may be trying to imply.
How is this done?
Let me show you via substance painter and Photoshop in synergy with each other to create something which looks quite bleak and then add the realism to further give even a bin a slight hint of coolness.
These alpha maps which were created in either Photoshop & Illustrator combined to create the crisp decals which were applied to the models later on as normal, height maps, or simple color maps.
This Bin which was followed from the concept that I have placed above has already been given the TLC it needs in a completely different way. Apart from giving this assets beautiful glistening metals, instead I have added some rust, dirt and more importantly … DECALS!
Like I mentioned before, like the reference above I have used the ‘PUSH’ decal created in Photoshop, and applied it onto the lid of the bin as a height map and changing the parameters inside to convert it from on outer dent into an inner dent.
This blog is updating you, the viewer on the current progress of this practice synoptic project called ‘Imagine worlds – world of verts’.
Me and my group have made considerably large progress over the past weeks; within first week we had pretty cluttered up room but we kept adding more to our Trello list and this was because we wanted more in our scenes. Continue reading “Synoptic Project – Creepy sitting room concept”
The first week is coming to an end and we are being told about the entirety of the course and that includes the practice and real synoptic projects where we are all in groups to develop either a game, VFX piece or an interactive environment.
We have chosen the ‘world of Vert’s’ challenge where we make an entire environment alongside a playable character, we now have a solid Idea alongside a 5-team and boy its turning out to be better than expected.
Continue reading “My specialism in Next-Gen Year 2 & Synoptic Project”