We are coming to the end game of our projects and its safe to say that there is a more visual ending in sight.
By this I simply mean that its safe to say that there will be something by the end of the project and MVP can be shown by deadline. I have struggled a lot since the beginning trying to prioritize my coursework, placement & other personal projects all ready for the end of year.
Now I’m going to try and push myself to learn programming to thus understand not just how it works but also how to structure code in the future.
Visual the game is coming together a more assets are pushed through, I have also contributed into making other graphics and fixing some, there have been instances where some of the maps were not working, thus I went onto Photoshop and added the characteristics needed such as extra lighting on brighter colors or the need to add more white to an alpha map.
Speaking of which, this also was shown to be really handy when it came to creating emission maps although this time I used after effects to give the glow a more revealing effect then adding a drawn over effect so therefore the player can realize that the effect is active and working as it should be.
This was then taken into account, so I then moved onto using the emission maps in programming, So firstly with the help of one of my tutors. There was two scripts created; one for the door and one for each button so therefore the player can open the door via a key-code.
Speaking of which, the key-code would be shown on a tablet placed on the far back corner of the room which would have to be traversed by the player, read, and then the player would follow the code shown in chronological order.
I have tried to make gameplay easier for a player to follow; To do this I could do many things environmentally.
Light leading, sound, linear design, breadcrumb method (I’ll get to that later) etc.
But instead I wanted to try something new and introduce myself to the world of video effects in unity. So I went about researching how to play videos in unity as maybe a transparent floating icon to help the player understand the mechanics visually.
So I went about creating the icons first and foremost, it came in many different forms but I settled mostly around this design with a few tweaks.
It’s coming to the end of week 5 and we’re now in full control of our slippery slide from last week. With the burn down chart completed and updated, development can now go into full swing; lets start with Unity and all of its bits and bob’s.
Firstly, we now have a working mechanic that opens the door when the button comes on collision with another object such as a ball (that was actually set specifically). This was used by the animator window which I’m yet to understand as I needed some assistance coming into this entirely new tool.
It works by having an animation made to a specific object then, placing it within the animator depending on when you want said animation to occur or what you want it to be played in connection with or have connections for that matter.
I then proceeded to start the code with the help of the tutor as I had no idea how to link the animator and a C# script together. And this was the final outcome…
Before any of my major projects from college start coming through I tended to just jump head first into anything without any idea of how I should lay things out before hand.
And considering I have a number of good projects, I find that some of them I got lucky on because I didn’t take the time to plan prior to development. Yesterday ‘Thursday 22nd’ I had an idea for the main menu and to also include the 3D artist on our team. So I then approached 3D & Project lead to present the Idea to them In relation to this, I was to get the concept piece from the 3D artist world which shown the temple Outside facing towards the camera. I thought to myself ‘I can use this environment as a menu’. Both Project & 3D lead gave me ways I can include this later on and also had Ideas of their own which I have jotted down. This would also include me and the 3D artist ‘Amy’ to collaborate in the creation of the menu.
This would mean going back on practices I used on the Don’t wake up game menu…
The environment being 3D and to either include specific objects as UI navigation or to instead Insert the buttons as 2D GUI in turn slightly adding Depth of field to the background so there is depth within the game scene.
This was the reason I mostly added the main menu flowchart in the first place.
The asset list has been updated for me to finish my individual production schedule and also to further add more to my contribution form.