It’s coming to the end of week 5 and we’re now in full control of our slippery slide from last week. With the burn down chart completed and updated, development can now go into full swing; lets start with Unity and all of its bits and bob’s.
Firstly, we now have a working mechanic that opens the door when the button comes on collision with another object such as a ball (that was actually set specifically). This was used by the animator window which I’m yet to understand as I needed some assistance coming into this entirely new tool.
It works by having an animation made to a specific object then, placing it within the animator depending on when you want said animation to occur or what you want it to be played in connection with or have connections for that matter.
I then proceeded to start the code with the help of the tutor as I had no idea how to link the animator and a C# script together. And this was the final outcome…
Before any of my major projects from college start coming through I tended to just jump head first into anything without any idea of how I should lay things out before hand.
And considering I have a number of good projects, I find that some of them I got lucky on because I didn’t take the time to plan prior to development. Yesterday ‘Thursday 22nd’ I had an idea for the main menu and to also include the 3D artist on our team. So I then approached 3D & Project lead to present the Idea to them In relation to this, I was to get the concept piece from the 3D artist world which shown the temple Outside facing towards the camera. I thought to myself ‘I can use this environment as a menu’. Both Project & 3D lead gave me ways I can include this later on and also had Ideas of their own which I have jotted down. This would also include me and the 3D artist ‘Amy’ to collaborate in the creation of the menu.
This would mean going back on practices I used on the Don’t wake up game menu…
The environment being 3D and to either include specific objects as UI navigation or to instead Insert the buttons as 2D GUI in turn slightly adding Depth of field to the background so there is depth within the game scene.
This was the reason I mostly added the main menu flowchart in the first place.
The asset list has been updated for me to finish my individual production schedule and also to further add more to my contribution form.
Week 3 is in full swing and furthermore Pre-production is coming to an end thus making the next couple of weeks more hopeful in terms of actual development, also I have been practicing more of the controller mapping for the player and will now be focusing a little on the UI for maybe a pause menu or a simple starting menu.
Additionally, I have expanded the block out world according to the maps that have been provided by Project Lead. Furthermore, I have went of the plans to make sure how it will be visually presented in 3D space.
This is partially linked in with the project that I’m working on in college, and its to do with the lighting.
Now other than, animations, textures, sfx etc. It’s nice to take into consideration lighting because it can drive the mood equivalently to other branches of aesthetics. I have some examples of what I mean and some technical how to’s, so let’s get started.
Lighting in my opinion can be done at the beginning of development during the blocking process to get a feel of how the game will look with lighting and as a positional placeholder in case you may want to edit lighting further or later into development.
Or leave lighting till later in the midst of development therefore you may get a sense of how it may affect textures or the idea of getting other assets out-of-the-way first such as environmental assets, scripting A.k.a ‘making the game work first’.
I am contributing this entire blog towards the creation of the 3D interactive menu for my imagine worlds project.
And the reason for this is because of what I figured out throughout the development stage of the buttons. I couldn’t understand that my imported graphics would not show at a full resolution. Instead was pixlated and fuzzy, therefore I had to seek out an alternate solution to make this menu.
‘What about 3D?’
So I looked into making 3D buttons where the materials will not bring down the resolution of the button graphics. Coming across a video that explained clearly how to achieve this but there was a brick wall ahead…
Although I though…
car QuitButton : boolean = false;
function OnMouseUp ()
So after writing this script, it was applied to the 3D planes mimicking the buttons, and classified them as play, credits & quit buttons. To make them therefore work in connection with the Button script.
The image below gives a visual representation of what I’m trying to achieve by doing this…
Next was the animation, and this was quite familiar as the timeline keying features were like them of Maya. It was just a method of selecting the object you intend on animating, then to the animation box and moving the object into place to therefore build the animation. This is how I completed the animation for the menu transitions.
This is an overall summary of the past 8 weeks, versions have been made with improvement to; character interaction, Sound and obviously graphics.
My biggest struggles throughout the project has been the programming; on the bright side, I have been trying to grasp the more common features of programming by looking through YouTube videos, Unity script references and even my own written code and seeing if there is any similarity between what I have done and trying to do.