When I open up substance painter, I get all my default assets such as: Brushes, Alphas, grunge, procedurals etc..
But what if I want something more, something accustomed towards that object?
Take the grandfather clock for example…
Not much of a clock without the layout of a clock on the front, right?
Well it was possible thanks to the power of Photoshop. Now when I consider the advantages of Substance painter, it takes out the tedious task of having to re-update texture maps and then re importing them over and over again. I can now make brushes with Photoshop that I can import into Substance Painter making the whole process so much easier.
How to import textures into substance painter:
‘Open Substance Painter’
Select the Import resources button in your shelf.
In the pop up box, click ‘Add resources’ .
Select you files which you want to import.
Apply your textures to a specific category
and finally import.
The textures you have imported should then be in your shelf under project.
This basically shows different ways to layout the code so programmers can read it easily and make sense out of it. 1TBS shows the opening brackets connecting to the end of the first line of code which could represent the literal connection whereas Allman separates creates a new line for a new bracketing section… like a quarantine in a way. Keeps everything away.
Doing either bracketing will not affect the workings of the code of what target you apply it to. Ultimately this should show what code is supposed to look like and also show an easier way of bracketing the code. Below is an example of 1TBS bracketing, I wouldn’t expect you to read it all but if you want to, I highly recommend looking at the way the brackets are set in comparison to Allman.
Back to the game in hand, there have been major improvements such as including collectable objects in my game to finally trigger the door, the idea.
Get the Collectables.
Avoid the Enemy.
Get to the goal.
Simple, it’s just… making more levels & having the gameplay flow at an equilibrium alongside an increasing difficulty. Throughout the duration of the game…
Moving on to 3D modelling, a very familiar aspect of my work which is currently revolving around creating a spaceship. And a way better one that we initially built for our final 3D assignment in Level 2, I started with a basic Cube polygon; extruded & elongated to expand upon on either face to therefore create the basic shape of the ship. I then proceeded to extrude further and later on create the more detailed shape of the ship. To do this I use the Tri/Quadrangulate tool to therefore add a smoother edge to the wings.
Now obviously all of this sounds complicated to the untrained eye, alternatively most would this this sounded fairly easy to carry out… it wasn’t. I had problems with rendering and still as I write this blog I have a problem with texturing the hull of the ship due to the ‘Back-face culling accidentally being on during the poly face selection process. Silly mistake which can be learned over time.
Now I am overseeing the final developments by tracking different renders which I have analysed to get the most realistic yet vibrant image to suit my models background. Initially, I had problems with rendering because of the ‘Mental Ray’ package becoming lost therefore I couldn’t see the full potential of anti-alising and the glow effects from the ships engines. Finally, I can say that there is much more to be added such as either weaponry and maybe something which could make this project stick out from the rest.
Friday 30th September
Back to class with Matt working on Maya and those little features which I longed to find out how to work have finally appeared. Features such as mirroring, Mirror Shading which I mostly used as a re-correction to any faulty texturing on the cockpit, engines and other assets which I have created.
Furthermore, I have also discovered that the quad/Triangulation should not be used unless absolutely necessary. That is because I would give myself a bigger job of actually texturing it and more harder to fix if a polygon is out of place. Now I have tried a taught method which involves selecting separate faces then reduce the poly count by simply going (Ctrl + Delete). This is the best way of going about cleaning up models as you can see by these wireframes below.
Now I will agree that the wings still need some massive re-adjustments but besides that. I think with the new tool that I have, My models will look a lot cleaner and better both aesthetically and performance based.
During the course, we have started making 2-D games, flash and pixel based games. like the first project we had an idea in mind, to make a flash game. later on we got the opportunity to start making a pixel based game. First we made a character which would therefore have an effect on the creation of the room.
Obviously we couldn’t just make a character and a room out of nothing, so therefore we were taught how to make pixel based sprites for whatever we were going to be applying this to. Getting to this first we had to use Adobe flash CC 2014 (Action script 3.0) and set our images to be 20×20 pixels if we were doing the character, and I think 200×200 pixels if we were creating the room.
The best thing to do when creating the room is to bring up a reference, this will make it easier for you to start creating the basics of whatever that room may hold. For example, this Formula 1garage that I created had to have a car, tires, monitors and other needs for a formula 1 driver.